Great, great show last night at Randall's Island. Check back. I'm going to expand this review during the course of the day.
1. Amazing performance from Arcade Fire. Very easy to forget that they've only released two full-length CDs.
2. The performance was delivered with enormous conviction, enthusiasm and energy.
3. Arcade Fire is earnest to the extreme... if they weren't so good you might make fun of this....but not here.
4. It says pay attention this is important.
5. The instrumentation (French horns, clarinets, violins, bells, accordions, combined with traditional rock and roll instrumentation creates a unique sound. They sound different. That's old news. But their sound is even more unique live.
6. Savvy and sophisticated light show.
7. They need to mix Win Butler's voice up above the band. Very hard to understand the lyrics. And the lyrics are crucial.
8. Best new song: "Intervention." Butler delivered with remarkable insistence.
9. Best old song "Rebellion (Lies)." Shifted to an insistent haunting (even discordant) minor key which never resolved to major as you thought it would. Deep and dark. Blue Lighting. WIn Butler off the stage and stands right at front row as they reach out to touch him. He's huge and towers over them.
Set List (if I got anything wrong in all the excitement, please correct in comments and I'll change)
1. Black Mirror
2. Keep the Car Running
3. Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
4. No Cars Go
6. I'm Sleeping in a Submarine
7. My Body is a Cage
8. Cold Wind
10. Antichrist Television Blues
11. The Well and the Lighthouse
12. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
13. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
14. Rebellion (Lies)
15. Headlights Look like Diamonds
16. Wake Up
17. Kiss Off (Violent Femmes)